Biriyani rice – 5 cup
Prawns – 1 kg
Onion – 5 cup (thinly sliced)
Ginger garlic paste – 5 tbsp
Green chilli -11(crushed)
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp+1/4 tsp
Chilli powder – 2 tsp + 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 2 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Mint and coriander leaves – a hand full
Tomato -2 1/2 cup
Fennel seeds -1 tsp
Lemon juice -2 tbsp
Cinnamon 2,3 pieces
cardamom – 7
Star anise – 1
Mace – 1
Bay leaf -2
Salt to taste
Ghee – 2 tbsp +3 tbsp
Oil as need
water – 7 1/2 cup (1 :1 1/2)
- Marinate prawns with 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste,2 tsp red chilli powder,1/2 tsp turmeric powder,pepper powder and salt for at least for 1 hour.
- Heat ghee in a pan add fry cashew, raisin and keep aside.
- In the remaining ghee add onion and fry until it become golden brown color.
- Boil 7 1/2 cup of water add fennel seeds,cloves,cardamom, cinnamon,mace,star anise,bay leaf salt and 2 tbsp ghee and the remaining ghee of fried onion.
- when water boils add rice and close the lid .
- In medium flame cook the rice till the water absorbed from it.
- In between gently toss the rise using a spatula ..
- when the rice cooked(it will be half cooked) close the lid and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the prawns and keep aside.
- Add little more oil into the pan and add remaining onion and saute.
- When it translucent add 4 tbsp ginger garlic paste and crushed green chillies.
- when the raw smell goes add chopped tomatoes , mint and coriander leaves.
- When the tomatoes mashed well add 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder,1 tsp chilli powder, garam masasla powder,and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of water into it.
- when water boils add the fried prawns and mix well.wait for one minute and turn of the flame.
- In a deep vessel first add the prepared masala then add one layer of cooked rice.
- Add fried cashew , raisin, fried onions, chopped mint coriander leaves sprinkle a little spoon of garam masala powder.
- Again add the rice..repeat the same process until last layer of rice.
- Then add fried onions, raisins cashew,mint coriander leaves ,garam masala and a spoon of ghee.
- Heat a tawa (dosa pan) and close the vessal with the heated tawa.
- Boil a big vessel of water and keep it on the tawa.
- The biriyani pot will be on the low flame.
- cook for 20 min
- after that turn off the stove.
- Remove the water pot and tawa after 10 min.
- Open the biriyani pot and serve it with raita ,pappadam..